Revenge of the Tartans


via
It's October, which means it's time for the fashion mags to tell us plaid is in style this year.  Nevermind that plaid was in style last year... and the year before...and the year before...   Fashion is the art of having a terrible memory.

Interiors are different though- plaid can be bad.  Usually it's either stuffy/fox hunting/cabin or dated/frumpy/Walmart sale.  Plaid curtains were some of the formative images of our childhoods, weren't they?  And now they remind us of the 1960's and 1970's, which tended to be the last time our parents redecorated despite that fact that that was 20 years before we were born.  Or is that just me?  Maybe you grew up like a contemporary minimalist Seattle vampire family- I don't know.

SAD PLAID:


via
 I say, where the devil is my ascot?


via
Eye stabs.



via
 What the shit is this?


via
Kitchen from Mad Men and every childhood ever.



via
If this was your childhood home, your next therapy session's on me.



That being said, plaid can be rad!  (And since plaid rhymes with bad and sad and rad, you're going to hate me by the end of this post).  The best way to make plaid look current and all-seasonal is to layer it with different patterns and unexpected color combinations.  A clash of neon never hurts either. 

Color me plaid:

via
 Vivenne Westwood wallpaper for Cole & Sons begs for Hello Kitty art.


via

via
OK this might be a little ugly, but I like the use of multiple plaid patterns. 


via
Pop me with some yellow.


via
Or some acid green!  Acid green makes everything better.



Clearly this is a restaurant, but I liked the plaid/industrial/vintage vibe. 

via
Bohemian by Anthro.

via
You can always count on Arch Digest to class up one of my posts.


via
Red & green minus the Santa. 


Oh and don't forget my Facts of Life Set Redesign- just the right amount of badass plaid.




Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...